Dos & Don'ts
If you’re using Invisalign, it’s important to properly clean your aligners every day to deliver the best possible results while also keeping your mouth healthy.
How Often Should I Clean My Invisalign Trays?It is important to clean your Invisalign trays every time you brush your teeth. It only takes a few minutes to keep your aligners clean by using the following methods:
- Soaking aligners in denture or retainer cleaning solution
- Lightly brushing with toothpaste
- Soaking in Invisalign brand cleaning crystals
How Do I Get Stains Out of Invisalign Trays?At times your Invisalign aligners may have stains. This occurs if you drink a lot of coffee or tea or if you don’t clean them properly every day. If your aligners need to be cleaned thoroughly due to stains, try the following methods:
- Fill a small bowl with half warm water and half hydrogen peroxide. Soak your Invisalign for a couple of hours or overnight if they’re “cloudy” to make them clear again
- Lightly brush the trays with a toothbrush dipped in baking soda to remove stains and any buildup
- Soak your trays in a half water/vinegar solution for about 30 minutes
Can I Use My Invisalign for Teeth Whitening?Ask your dentist if you can add over-the-counter teeth whitening solutions to your Invisalign trays. Although it may not harm the aligners, teeth whitening solutions can make your teeth more sensitive to hot and cold foods/beverages.
Can I Change My Invisalign Trays Early?As you progress through your Invisalign treatment plan, your orthodontist will advise you during your regular checkups on how long you should wear your trays before moving on to the next set. The average time to wear a set of aligners is about two weeks. If you lose or break your aligners, call your orthodontist immediately to find out what to do. Your dentist may advise you to go to the next set or to use the previous set of aligners for a few days.
Can I Use Toothpaste to Clean My Invisalign?Your orthodontist might suggest you soak your Invisalign in denture or retainer cleaner rather than use toothpaste. Some orthodontists advise that toothpaste is too abrasive and will scratch your aligners. However, some dentists recommend lightly brushing your aligners with toothpaste and rinsing well with cold water.
Why Do My Invisalign Turn Yellow?Your Invisalign aligners may turn yellow due to:
- Not brushing your teeth before putting your aligners in your mouth
- Drinking coffee, tea, juice, wine, or colored sodas